Thursday, March 18, 2010

Simple and Precious Moments

I never would have thought that turning on my computer and putting together a quick post could take a week to accomplish! But here I am - writing on Friday - when I had set out to post some pictures on Monday. Our days seem to be as full as our hearts lately, leaving little time (or energy) for additional projects.

We are all doing well. It might be a bit premature to say that I am totally recovered...but I feel great. I have resumed regular activities 3 weeks post-surgery and feel pretty good most days. Recovery time is between 4 - 6 weeks so I feel optimistic and thankful that we are ahead of schedule.

Derick has returned to work...but he is just 20 feet away in the study so we continue to make a great team, accomplishing all that needs to be done and enjoying all of our moments with Theodore and Asher.

Theodore is growing and starting to show some of his sparkling personality in those brief awake moments. This morning he was experimenting with his voice; his coos were quite precious, even at 4 a.m. At his two week appointment (which was last week), he weighed 9 pounds! I have noticed that his fingers have plumped up and his eyelashes have grown considerably in the last week. His cone-headedness from his time in the birth canal seems to have abated entirely, and his umbilical cord finally came off; Theodore is on his way to baby status rather than newborn babe.

Asher now loves the idea of being a big brother. The first day that we brought Theodore home was difficult. Asher sobbed and kept repeating, "No, no daddy. All done 'Dore! All done!" That was his way of saying "Take him back!" Within days, though, he warmed up and is now a great helper. He checks on Theodore first thing in the morning and looks for him (before his mama) when he returns from outings with his daddy! He loves to hold the baby - as evidenced by the grin and delight in the picture below.



This is a picture from Theodore's first week home. His eyes are still a pretty slate blue...we'll see if they stay blue in the coming weeks.


Alert and taking in the world...


Contemplating life outside the womb...


On our way home from our morning outing the other day, we stopped at a park so that Asher could play with his daddy, and I could feed Theodore. I sat in the car and watched them climb, swing, and slide. My heart overflowed with love and gratitude as I watched father and son lay on the grass and look at the clouds. It was a simple but precious moment, one of those mental snapshots that I will treasure forever.